The Integrated Project NanoBioPharmaceutics aims at the development of innovative multidisciplinary approaches for the design, synthesis and evaluation of functionalised nano-carriers and nano-particle-based micro-carriers for the treatment of various diseases based on targeted, controlled delivery of therapeutic peptides and proteins (biopharmaceutics).
More specifically, the present IP aims at the following scientific and technological objectives:
1. Design, synthesis and functionalization of novel nano-carriers and nano-particle-based micro-carriers for targeted delivery of P/P drugs via oral, pulmonary and Blood Brain Barrier (BBB) crossing administration routes.
2. Toxicological screening of the nano-carriers and investigation of the release profile of P/P drug under various environmental conditions and the assessment of the biocompatibility and biodegradability of the new formulations.
3. Novel pulmonary P/P carriers with improved delivery features to overcome the administration difficulties and increase efficiency of protein delivery to the deep lung.
4. Oral nano-particulate P/P carrier systems capable of adhering to the gastrointestinal mucosa and also displaying protective and permeation enhancing properties.
5. Establishment of an in vitro model for the assessment of nano-carriers permeability through the Blood Brain Barrier (BBB).
The present IP integrates the scientific activities and complementary skills of researchers coming from 13 EU countries and the state of Israel, in an attempt to ensure breakthrough advances in novel biopharmaceutics delivery systems. The Consortium consists of 12 University departments, 6 research institutes, 6 SMEs and 3 large industries. An efficient management scheme has been established to ensure the fulfilment of the IP's scientific, technological and exploitation objectives.
Fields of science
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIP - Integrated Project
See on map
See on map