Main project objective is the development of an environmentally friendly improved-cost shaft power generation technology, based on solar thermal energy, optimised for supplying basic need to rural communities. The proposal focuses in the technological development of a solar thermal-driven mechanical power generation based on a solar-heated thermodynamic cycle (POWERSOL system). This technological development consists in optimising a solar-assisted thermodynamic cycle that generates mechanical power from low to medium temperature range.
The optimisation is performed by means of experimental testing of the thermodynamic cycle with selected working fluids and three solar collector prototypes. Mechanical energy could be either used to direct electricity generation (using a generator) or to brackish or seawater desalination by coupling the output to a high-pressure pump connected to a conventional reverse osmosis system.
Main specific objectives of the project are the following:
1) Modelling a solar-heated thermodynamic cycle (selecting the most suitable boundary conditions and working fluids at three different top temperature ranges).
2) Development and construction of three solar collector prototypes optimised for operating around 80ºC, 150ºC, and 200ºC. They are flat plate (static), compound parabolic concentrators (static) and parabolic trough collectors (sun- tracking), respectively.
3) Experimental testing of solar-driven mechanical power generation and solar collector prototypes.
4) Comparing the cycles at the three temperature ranges for operating autonomous or with backup at different capacity ranges.
5) Full technical evaluation of the proposed POWERSOL technology.
6) Economic assessment of the developed technology against other conventional and solar-driven techniques.
7) Assessment of final potential social impact.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectrical engineeringpower engineeringelectric power generation
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesthermodynamics
- engineering and technologychemical engineeringseparation technologiesdesalinationreverse osmosis
- engineering and technologychemical engineeringseparation technologiesdistillation
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringenergy and fuelsrenewable energysolar energysolar thermal
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call