Objectives: The general goal of this project is the industrialization of 28/20nm Fully Depleted (FD) Silicon On Insulator (SOI) Technology platforms, enabling 2 different sources in 2 different European countries. The project also aims at establishing and reinforcing a design ecosystem in Europe using these platforms. Last, the project considers extremely important to explore extension towards FD devices at 14/10nm, in order to continue the road toward more efficient technologies.
• First 28 nm and then 20 nm FDSOI capacity installed in the World.
• First 20 nm CMOS capacity installed in Europe
• Widest dynamic range and most energy efficient technologies: for low power and high performance applications.
Impact on Europe
The expected impact of the proposed innovation deployed in PLACES2BE will be
• A strengthening the nanoelectronics manufacturing capabilities in Europe.
• The reinforcement of the European IP and Fabless ecosystem, essential to master both aspects in order to master the whole starting point of the value chain.
• Early opening to new applications.
• Strengthening of the industry-academics relationship throughout Europe, also impacting education
• Additionally PLACES2BE will contribute to the cluster policy that is an integral part of the Horizon 2020 strategy.
Consortium: PLACES2BE Pilot line gathers 27 experienced partners, including industry leaders such as GLOBALFOUNDRIES, ARM, STEricsson, SOITEC, MENTOR Graphics along the microelectronics value chain, SMEs such as Open Engineering, eSilicon, GSS, Axiom, IBS, RTOs such as the Fraunhoger Gesellschaft, IMEC, and LETI, and several academic teams located in 8 European Union member states.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry/inorganic compounds
- /engineering and technology/nanotechnology
- /engineering and technology/nanotechnology/nanoelectronics
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/electromagnetism and electronics/microelectronics
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeJTI-CP-ENIAC - Joint Technology Initiatives - Collaborative Project (ENIAC)