The DEEPEN project will establish an integrated understanding of the ethical issues posed by emerging nanotechnologies, develop methodological tools for engaging civil society and the nanoscience community in ethical reflection, and develop recommendations for incorporating ethical understanding into research practices and governance structures.
Emerging nanotechnologies are developing the capacity to enhance human bodily and cognitive capacities. Such capacities have robust economic and social potential yet also raise ethical, social and environmental concerns. DEEPEN aims to integrate understanding of the ethical dilemmas posed by emerging nanotechnologies into the innovation trajectories of the technology itself.
Such 'real-time' engagement will take place in five ways.
- First, we will develop a deepened ethical understanding of issues related to emerging nanotechnologies through an interdisciplinary approach utilising insights from philosophy, ethics, and social sciences.
- Second, we will develop ways to map de-facto ethics embedded in the world of nanoscience and technology actors, and on that basis develop ways of enhancing ethical reflexivity in the nanoscience and technology world.
- Third, we will instigate a programme of cross-European empirical research aimed at unravelling the ethical categories of lay people to ethical issues posed by emerging nanotechnologies.
- Fourth, we will organise new public fora where citizens, stakeholders, experts and decision-makers can develop common understandings of such dilemmas.
- And fifth, we will develop recommendations for integrating ethical reflection into nanoscience practice and into governance and regulatory processes.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call