With the new regulations included in the Water Framework Directive (WFD) (2000/60/EC), new strategies are needed for control of Priority pollutants (PP). For decision-making and implementation of the WFD, the industrial sector, local water authorities and EU policy makers need guidelines for the selection and introduction of feasible and cost-effective measures. The overall objective of this project is to support the implementation process for the WFD by providing guidelines and decision support tools f or the management of priority pollutants.
To fulfil this overall objective the following activities are proposed:
- To conduct a material flow analysis for selected priority pollutants.
- To evaluate available and emerging measures and management options for PPs.
- To develop a decision support tool for identification and selection of relevant measures on European, national and regional level.
- To evaluate different potential measures by applying the decision support tools in case studies.
- To facilitate the development of collective action plans (i.e. river basin management plans) involving all stakeholders (industries, authorities, citizens, NGOs).
- To disseminate results to stakeholders and to strongly interact with industrial organisation s, research networks, authorities and NGOs.
A Stakeholder Advisory Group (SAG) will be formed with representatives from industries, authorities and NGOs. The SAG will be consulted during all steps in the process of collecting information, developing the decision support tool and the suggested set of management measures. The cooperation with the industrial sector, the different authorities and other stakeholders (public, NGOs) will ensure the accuracy and relevance of basic data collection, as well as the applicability, acceptance and relevance of the results from this project.
Field of science
- /social sciences/political science/political policy/civil society/nongovernmental organization
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call