KASWARMI's main aim is to deliver fundamentals for future research activities by improving the sustainability of irrigated agriculture in LA. In many developing countries the socio-economical pressure to increase agricultural production is in conflict with the preservation of the environment and with other users of the natural resources.
The intensification of the agricultural production in arid and semiarid regions includes activities such as irrigation and fertilisation, often associated with inadequate management and lack of knowledge, which produce serious contamination problems. European experiences (EU: Germany, Spain, Hungary: [3 partners]) with approaches to sustainable agriculture and the Water Framework Directive can support the specific regional experiences in Latin America (LA: Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil: [6 p.]). KASWARMI fosters such EU-LA cooperation regarding the interdisciplinary approach and the specific regional socio-economic, ecological, and technical (s-e,e,t) conditions.
The specific objectives of KASWARMI are:
- To develop a comprehensive knowledge base in sustainable water resources management for irrigation and an interdisciplinary scientific network;
- To carry out an integral multi-stakeholder analysis of different (s-e,e,t ) situations in selected irrigation areas in LA;
- To build up and intensify direct contact to stakeholders (farmers, other water users, policy makers), schools and civil society organisations; and
- To detect the stakeholders? needs for research.
- In this context research strategies and a concept for future joint research based on requirements of the stakeholders will be developed.
The dissemination will be achieved through strategies for future RTD activities, publications, brief informative bulletins (L A, local), the final KASWARMI report, workshops, a final seminar, presentations at national /international conferences, an Internet page, press conferences, and teaching courses at the universities.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologycivil engineeringwater engineeringirrigation
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringnatural resources managementwater management
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesagriculturesustainable agriculture
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringremote sensing
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental scienceshydrology
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call