Through the Laboratory for Ion Beam Interactions (LIBI), the Division of Experimental Physics of the Rudjer Boskovic Institute (RBI) operates and maintains the Tandem Accelerators facility that physically consists of the 6MV Tandem Van de Graaff and 1MV Tandetron accelerators, associated beam lines and measurement end-stations.
The facility is used for research and applications by various clients/collaborators in a range of fields, including nuclear and atomic physics, materials science and development of advanced materials, archaeology and characterisation of cultural heritage objects, etc.
The goal of this project proposal is to stabilise and reinforce the existing research potentials of the RBI Tandem Accelerator Facility in order:
- to strengthen its presence at the European Research Area by maintaining and increasing its involvement in cooperative research projects on equal basis with partners from the EU and third countries (including Western Balkan countries) by offering modern state of the art experimental facilities and know-how;
- to meet demands of its clients/collaborators from various sectors of the national, regional and inter-regional character, in line with the RBI mission, vision and adopted values.
Through the project, the facility will strengthen its possibilities to continue giving its services to traditional clients/collaborators in a more efficient way. In addition, the project will open possibilities for the facility to offer new subjects and activities, and to increase linkage with clients/collaborators from various sectors of the national and regional character, thus increasing the number of clients/collaborators and services.
This will be achieved by physical upgrading of certain measurement capabilities; upgrade of the 6MV tandem accelerator to provide required ion beams in more efficient way; by preparing promotion brochures, upgrade the facility web site and organizing a workshop for targeted user-group(s).
Field of science
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/atomic physics
- /social sciences/educational sciences
- /humanities/history and archaeology/archaeology/archaeometry
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call