Frontiers' aim is to provide Europe with a leading position in life sciences related nanotechnology within 4 years. In Frontiers there is a focus on analysis and manipulation of the bio environment. We will use the experience of the consortium in technology to create novel systems and our mutual interaction to conceptualise and design them. Frontiers creates centres of excellence in science as well as facilities. Partners concentrate more on focused, 'core areas', spend less effort on R&D/facilities outside these 'core areas'. Main elements of Frontiers are aimed at increasing the research efficiency, the infrastructural efficiency, the education efficiency and at building more and better business cases. The Joint Program of Activities (JPA) is grouped in 4 blocks:
-Coordination of research, leading to a Joint Research Programme;
-Implementation of a 'Virtual European Nanosciences Laboratory', to ensure efficient use of infrastructure as well as the availability of equipment for the researchers;
-Creation of an integrated European Joint Curriculum on life sciences related nanotechnology;
-Spreading of Excellence, with a focus on joint IPR management and on the development of new business cases (Science-to-Industry).
Basics of the Frontiers consortium: individual excellence in science, excellent nanotechnology infrastructure, proven capability to initiate start-ups, outstanding relations with nanotechnology initiatives all over the world and a proven track record in cooperating with other members of the consortium.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesopticsmicroscopy
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesgenetics and hereditydna
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesgenetics and heredityrna
- natural sciencesbiological sciencescell biology
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsensors
- social scienceseconomics and business
- medical and health sciencesmedical biotechnologytissue engineering
- engineering and technologynanotechnology
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call