In order to match the resolution required for the development of nanomaterials and provide analytical information, this NoE concentrates on analytical techniques using focused ion and electron beams: SIMS /AES /TEMEuropean industries have a leadership in this field: - the world leader for D-SIMS is a French SME (Cameca)- amongst the two producers of S-SIMS one is a German SME (ION-TOF)- one of the 3 producers of AES is in England (TE),- analytical TEM equipment is produced by 1 German, 1 Dutch and 1 Japanese company. The European academic labs played a major role in the development of these techniques. This NoE will bring together the manufacturers mentioned above in brackets as well as the leading scientists and users in the academic labs.The partners will perform 9 INTEGRATING ACTIVITIES during the project. The 4 main activities will consist in the coordination of instrumental development, of fundamental research, the application to nanomaterials and the coordination of manufacturers. In addition to these topics, 5 further such integrating activities will be installed to cover aspects as research tools and infrastructures, personnel, management of knowledge and intellectual property and communication network. 5 further integrating activities will cover aspects as research tools and infrastructures, personnel, management of knowledge and intellectual property and communication network. This NoE will integrate 7 RESEARCH ACTIVITIES:- new ion sources for SIMS- development of new techniques - investigation of biological specimens for UHV experiments and analysis- analysis of layered, and- of 2 and 3D nanomaterials- formation process of atomic and molecular ions under ion bombardment- analytical chemistry in S- and D-SIMS. The NoE will create a European workshop about these analytical techniques, a European PhD school, 2 working groups for applications in biology and material science, as well as training courses.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesopticsmicroscopyelectron microscopy
- natural scienceschemical sciencesanalytical chemistrymass spectrometry
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesopticsspectroscopy
- natural scienceschemical sciencesanalytical chemistryquantitative analysis
- engineering and technologynanotechnologynano-materials
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call