The primary objective of this project is to develop fundamental knowledge on the production techniques, characterization and methods of applications of semiconductor Nan crystals to light emitting devices and floating gate memories. Three main research directions can be identified in the project: First, physics and chemistry of a number of elemental, alloy and compound semiconductor Nan crystal formation and mechanisms of charge transport and light emission will be studied in a systematic way to acquire fundamental knowledge. Second, methods and technology of obtaining new materials with well-characterized Nan crystals suitable for use in device work will be developed. Finally, devices such as Metal Oxide Semiconductor (MOS) for use in flash memories and light-emitting devices (Leeds) will be designed, fabricated and tested as prototypes of devices incorporating the unique features of Nan crystals. Full cycle starting from material processing to the demonstration of devices will be covered. Different materials, production techniques, processing conditions and characterization techniques will be employed to reach comprehensive results for the science and technology of semiconductor Nan crystals. As its main objectives are strongly related to the size dependent phenomena in semiconductors and its outcomes will form the basis for the new production techniques in the modern microelectronic and photon industry, this project addresses topics with the following activity codes of NMP Work Program:
126.96.36.199.The project has been broken into 3 main work packages: WP1 deals with the Is and Gee Nan crystals prepared in different media and processed by various techniques. WP2 is related to the production and characterization of some alloy and compound semiconductor Nan crystals. WP3 deals with the application of the materials studied in the first two work packages to the devices mentioned above.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologymaterials engineeringcrystals
- natural scienceschemical sciencesinorganic chemistryinorganic compounds
- engineering and technologynanotechnologynano-materialsnanocrystals
- natural sciencesphysical scienceselectromagnetism and electronicssemiconductivity
- natural sciencesphysical sciencestheoretical physicsparticle physicsphotons
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project
See on map