In a knowledge-based and customer-driven economy, it becomes increasingly important to integrate high-technology into complex goods and services which are geared towards individual user requirements. In future, the competitiveness depends on how fast and how flexible new products can be launched onto the market. Therefore new, efficient, user- and eco-friendly product design and engineering technologies are urgently required. The new approach is to base the necessary virtual models on volumetric Compute rised Tomography (3D-CT) data. The availability of 3D-CT data at different steps of the product development process allows not only high quality surface modelling or geometrical inspection but also the analysis of flaws, material inhomogeneity or material structures and helps to optimise the manufacturing parameters especially for new materials. The main project objectives are to develop new basic hardware components and algorithms for fast and accurate 3D-CT scanning for parts of any complexity and lar ge dimensions, new algorithms for automated CT image processing, fast surface and solid modelling as well as methodologies for the integration of the new technologies into the rapid product development and manufacturing process. A next generation CT prot otype will be set up for validation and testing. A particular attention will also be given to make these new technologies well known to the European key industries. Whereas the state-of-the-art CT technique is mainly originated in the U.S. the consortium has the potential to launch a breakthrough on volumetric high energy CT. The involved software companies are key players for CT image processing and metrology. The end users ensure that the new technologies meet the needs of the industry.
Fields of science
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencessoftware
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencesdata sciencedata processing
- engineering and technologymechanical engineeringmanufacturing engineeringproduct engineering
- engineering and technologymedical engineeringdiagnostic imagingcomputed tomography
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project