Power Line Communication (PLC) is a broadband telecommunication technology able to use the electricity networks for data transmission purposes, allowing any user connected to the power grid to benefit from a great number of services easily and avoiding expensive and pollutant new wiring. The strategic objective of this proposal is to offer low-cost broadband access service to ALL European citizens using the most ubiquitous infrastructure, Power Lines. Overcoming all barriers that prevent today PLC from being a mass commercial technology that competes effectively with existing technologies through the development of a new PLC generation integrated with existing backbone technologies and EMC full compliant.
All efforts will be focused on obtaining: an improved performance in transmission speed, a ready- to-sell and low-cost products, a complete system specification, an unique international regulation, full inter-operability with existing back haul and in-home technologies and a higher market share.
OPERA will contribute to develop the European Information Society in concordance with the proposed objectives in the plan eEurope 2005 by:
- Increase of competition in access network: PLC networks can be quickly and easily deployed without large investments due to the re-utilisation of electricity networks. PLC is an alternative, competitive, ubiquitous solution for access and in-house distribution that will contribute to have a real alternative "last-mile" access network.
- Fostering Mass Services availability: PLC features such as transparent integration with different technologies and complete end-user coverage will contribute to the deployment of value-added-services over broadband such as: smart home, video streaming, e-health, telephony, tele-surveillance etc.
- European Industry Leadership: PLC technology know-how is currently placed in Europe.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electrical engineering/power engineering/electric power transmission
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electrical engineering/power engineering/electric power distribution
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/automation and control systems/home automation
Funding SchemeIP - Integrated Project
75008 Paris 08
44425 Kfar Saba
Campolide - Lisboa
01 797 Warszawa
651 21 Karlstad
92340 Bourg La Reine
MK7 6AA Milton Keynes
84106 Beer Sheva