The main objective of WEB-ENV project is the development of general environmental guidelines concerning the region of Western Balkan Countries, with a particular focus on water resources, renewable energy and use of recycled materials. These guidelines could be useful for the management of major environmental problems and natural resources as well.
This will be reached by the following:
- Extended mapping exercise to identify these problems
- Development of evaluation criteria permitting the selection of the most significant problems, taking into account the socio-economic and human health impacts
- Assessment of innovative low-cost remediation technologies
- Review of the existing legislation A consortium composed by CERTH (coordinator) and 5 other partners from the academic community representing 4 from the 5 countries of the region assures an adequate regional participation.
An integrated dissemination plan foresees activities like: development of an environmental web portal, organization of workshops, and participation in worldwide environmental events like congresses, conferences, exhibitions etc. The development of general environmental guidelines is expected to contribute to the formation of a common environmental policy and sustainable management of natural resources, to arise peoples' sensitivity in crucial environmental problems, to contribute to the economic development and to provide assistance to all the stakeholders involved with the enhancement of the political and social situation in Western Balkans.
The expected results contribute to INCO general objectives encouraging the transregional partnership and international cooperation and aiming at the prevention and re-mediation of environmental problems both in regional and global dimension of the area, to EU Water Initiative, to the Millennium Development Goals in terms of the assurance of environmental sustainability and to the Action Plan for S&T Cooperation between EU and the Balkan Countries
Field of science
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/hydrology
- /social sciences/other social sciences/social sciences interdisciplinary/sustainable development
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/renewable energy
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call