This Marie Curie proposal aims at facilitating an efficient re-integration of Professor Emmanouil Anagnostou in the Institute of Oceanography of the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR). Specifically, our research objectives are to establish and quantitatively validate physically based algorithms for optimal assimilation of precipitation observations and lightning data into the HCMR POSEIDON regional weather forecast system by:
(1) Researching optimal methods for combining, quantifying and validating the retrieval of precipitation parameters (rain type, distribution, area, vertical structure) from an array of remote and in situ observations including long-range lightning network observations, underwater acoustic rain gauge data deployable in the POSEID ON buoy system, and other more traditional measures of precipitation structure collected from ground radar and satellite passive microwave radiometers;
(2) Combining space/ground-based instrument and cloud resolving modelling systems to study the 4-D structural characteristics of convective systems over southern Europe that includes the mixed land/sea Mediterranean regime;
(3) On the basis of the above knowledge, develop and test new algorithms for assimilation of long-range lightning measurements and multi-sensor rainfall retrievals over remote complex terrain and deep-sea regions of the Mediterranean for use in numerical forecast models such as the non-hydrostatic Eta model used in POSEIDON system.
The Institute of Oceanography with the consensus of the President of HCMR (Prof. George Chronis) is committed to absorb the research initiated in the proposed project by offering permanent research scientist appointment to Prof. Anagnostou.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/oceanography
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/natural resource management/water management
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/information engineering/telecommunications/radio technology/radar
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/remote sensing
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call