Existing test standards for biomass room heating appliances (pellet and firewood stoves, and inset appliances) have supported technology development tremendously in past decades. Due to today’s changing and more demanding requirements, however, there is the obvious need for refined testing procedures in order to differentiate between poor and excellent products. Such differentiation should take into account operating conditions as they are found in real life installations. Offering such information to customers will create substantial competitive advantages to innovative SMEs providing high quality products and may provide a reliable guideline for future standards or regulations.
The key objectives of BeReal are
- Development of advanced testing methods for room biomass heating appliances to better reflect real life operation
- Development of a centralized standard evaluation tool for quality assurance purposes
- Validation of methods at an early stage of development
- Proof of real life impact of advanced products by field test demonstration
- Proof of reliability and reproducibility of testing methods and evaluation tools through a Round Robin test
- Development and introduction of a quality label based on the novel testing methods
These are accompanied by dissemination activities addressing standardization bodies, SME-members of participating SME-AGs and notified bodies, including training activities for the latter two groups. The introduction of the quality label addresses end users and general public.
The consortium consists of 2 national and 1 European SME-AG, 7 OTHER participants (3 SME stove manufacturers, 1 SME component supplier, 1 SME certification supplier, 2 large industry stove manufacturers) and 5 RTDs of high international reputation. SME-AGs will be supported by their members. 3 participants are notified bodies, several participants are involved in leading positions in concerned standardization groups, amongst others in CEN TC295 WG5 and in CEN TC46. Additional stakeholders are involved in an Advisory Committee.
Field of science
- /agricultural sciences/agricultural biotechnology/biomass
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeBSG-SME-AG - Research for SME associations/groupings