Reuse of water, Recovery of valuables and Resource efficiency in urban wastewater treatment
The main objective of the project is to demonstrate solutions that support the transition from a treatment plant for urban wastewater to a production unit of different valuables.
So far waste water treatment plants are usually regarded as facilities to avoid emissions from wastewater. Current research and development shows that these plants can be converted and upgraded into production units to provide energy, nutrients, water for re-use and possibly other valuables. This is achieved by improved resource efficiency in the plant as well as new technologies and business models that allow the re-use of resources from the incoming water.
The 3 main objectives for the project are:
• Demonstrate new technologies and solutions for increased resource efficiency in existing UWWTP performance thanks to innovative monitoring, advanced control strategies and management measures
• Demonstrate innovative wastewater technologies that enable reuse of water, recovery of valuables such as nutrients
• Facilitate market uptake for the demonstrated solutions for the European and global market by demonstrating solutions in different geographical context and reaching relevant stakeholders.
The project will develop the following concepts for a number of important aspects to facilitate the transition to a production unit:
• Resource and climate efficient treatment, thanks to:
• Facilitating water re-use (e.g. monitoring)
• Recycling of nutrients (and other valuables)
Within the field of these topics, new and innovative technologies will be tested and demonstrated. For demonstration, 3 sites are involved in Belgium, Spain, and Sweden
Results are disseminated to different stakeholder groups including Water treatment works, water authorities including international outreach e.g. to China.
Fields of science
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP - Collaborative project (generic)
See on map
S3 7RD Sheffield
See on map
1630 Gamle Fredrikstad
See on map