Europe would be close to solving problems related to congestion, traffic safety and environmental challenges if people, vehicles, infrastructure and business were connected into one cooperative ecosystem combining integrated traffic and transport management with new elements of ubiquitous data collection and system self-management.
The main objective is increasing the safety, sustainability, flexibility and efficiency of road transport systems by taking advantage of cooperative communication and by processing open data related to travel through a cooperative open web based platform and mobile application, developed with the purpose of delivering information and services to drivers, businesses and Vulnerable Road Users in real time.
The operative objectives will be to:
- Analyse stakeholder’s needs incorporating them in the specification of the transport services delivered by the platform;
- Identify transport open data sources of information and harmonizing this data to be used as real-time information;
- Define and implement and fully distributed global architecture to enable cooperative sensing in ITS;
- Leverage the information gathered from vehicular communications, GNSS and open data by means of artificial intelligence techniques;
- Develop hybrid networks, supporting 802.11p and mobile communications, which will allow assuring a stable communication channel between vehicles and VRU (usually bringing smartphone).
- Empower drivers to deliver data to the platform by leveraging the information generated by their mobile phones exponentially increasing the information available on traffic status.
- Implement ITS services arranged in the following main areas: driver assistance, vulnerable users and multimodal dynamic commuter, enhanced real time traffic information API and TIMON collaborative ecosystem;
- Design two validation environments, a test bed site and another located in an (inter)urban area;
Fields of science
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringinformation engineeringtelecommunicationsmobile phone
- social sciencessocial and economic geographytransportpublic transport
- social sciencesother social sciencessocial sciences interdisciplinarysustainable development
- social sciencessocial and economic geographytransportnavigation systemssatellite navigation systemglobal navigation satellite system
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesecologyecosystems
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencesartificial intelligence
- social scienceseconomics and business
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringair pollution engineering
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeRIA - Research and Innovation action
WA3 3JD Warrington Cheshire
5708 JZ Helmond