The overall objective of the REWARD project is to develop the knowhow, intellectual property rights and technical capabilities to adequately and cost-effectively produce cleaner, highly efficient Diesel powertrains and aftertreatment technologies for future cleaner class A, B, C, D and E passenger cars and light commercial vehicles (LCVs) up to 3,500 kg that “go beyond Euro 6 limits under Real Driving conditions” (EU6 RDE). All technologies: friction and wear reduction measures, exhaust gas treatment concepts, fuel-efficient 2-stroke and 4-stroke Diesel engine concepts will be advanced to TRL 6 or TRL 7 and integrated in three demonstration vehicles. A full calibration and assessment of the vehicles and underlying technologies will take place to proof: real driving emissions below upcoming Euro 6 limits, 25% friction reduction in the entire engine, a significant higher lifetime durability and a more than 5% improved overall fuel efficiency. The impact of the cost effectiveness and high yield producibility of the applications will also be demonstrated.
Specific scientific and technical objectives, main innovations and targeted key results are:
1. To develop and demonstrate advanced exhaust gas treatment concepts and low emission technologies up to TRL 7
2. To develop and demonstrate advanced friction and wear reduction measures up to TRL 6/7
3. To develop and demonstrate advanced > 5% more fuel-efficient 0.7 l 2-stroke Diesel engines (TRL6) suited for class A/B passenger cars
4. To develop and demonstrate advanced > 5% more fuel-efficient 4-stroke Diesel engines (TRL7) suited for class B, C D and E passenger cars and LCVs
REWARD’s aim is to develop all key technologies up to TRL6 i.e. system/subsystem model or prototype demonstration in a relevant environment and to TRL7, i.e. system prototype demonstration in an operational environment. REWARD will also prepare a plan for a credible path to deliver the innovations to the market.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/mechanical engineering/vehicle engineering/automotive engineering
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action
405 31 Goteborg