The SPIRE Roadmap calls for an industry-focused study of current sustainability assessment approaches across the process industries, with the aim of identifying and promoting a suitable ‘toolkit’.
Project STYLE is an industry-led consortium representing a broad spread of process industry sectors with numerous products that cross sector boundaries through their value chains. Partner organisations (Britest, ArcelorMittal, Carmeuse, Holcim, RDC Environment, IVL, Solvay, Tata Steel, Utrecht University and Veolia) bring together a wealth of knowledge and experience in the use of tools for sustainability assessment. Active stakeholder engagement/support from public and private sector organisations, national standardisation bodies and industry associations from project inception, will ensure focus and clarity in addressing the challenges identified in the call.
Project STYLE has three key objectives, to:
1. Identify best practice in sustainability evaluation, across sectors and through value chains via inventory and classification of established approaches.
2. Test and deliver a practical toolkit for sustainability evaluation of processes and products, spanning multiple sectors and easily usable by non-practitioners of LCA.
3. Determine gaps, through critical assessment and validation, and identify future research needs to improve the toolkit and ensure broad applicability across sectors.
Industrial partners in the project will provide the cross-sectoral case study opportunities for testing existing partner tools and selected tools identified through the inventory and classification stages. The research and consultancy partners will ensure that the project methodology is rigorous, sufficiently wide-ranging and that recommendations are validated and consistent with the best world-wide standards. Dissemination of project outputs via and in collaboration with the stakeholder groups will promote uptake and increase the EU knowledge base for sustainability evaluation.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management
- /social sciences/other social sciences/social sciences interdisciplinary/sustainable development
- /social sciences/sociology/social issues
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCSA - Coordination and support action
1348 Louvain La Neuve
851 01 Bratislava