With the increase of the density of people in urban areas, modern cities experience significant needs related to planning, maintenance and administration. As a result, many cities are engaged in massive investment for infrastructure development across many structural elements including water supply, lighting, maintenance, traffic and transportation systems, refuse disposal and all the factors which form a part of the completed city.
The public transportation systems, assisting the movement of people in urban areas using group travel technologies such as buses and trains, are continuously evolving in terms of areas coverage, comfort and technology. Such systems can be exploited by the cities in order to serve both public and benefits including:
• Maintenance of infrastructure such as lighting, road deteriorations etc.
• Inspection of points of interests such as parking spaces, garbage collection points etc.
• Provision of services to the private sector such as inspection of advertisement points etc.
The main objective of the GHOST project is to design, develop and validate at an operational environment a GALILEO-based intelligent system for vehicles in order to take advantage of the public transportation fleet routes, towards enabling development of new cross-functional applications for infrastructures maintenance, street parking and garbage management in smarter cities environment.
The GHOST intelligent system will be validated at an operational environment, by demonstrating and experimenting on three (3) use cases of the GHOST applications including:
• Reporting of street lighting anomalies or road deteriorations (ex: pothole).
• Detection of double parking or occupied parking reserved for disabled drivers by unauthorized vehicles.
• Monitoring of public garbage completion level.
Field of science
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/sustainable transport/intelligent transport system
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/sensors/optical sensors
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/public transport
- /engineering and technology/civil engineering/urban engineering/smart city
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/artificial intelligence/computer vision
- /social sciences/political science/public administration
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action
WC1N 3AX London