OptIntegral develops and demonstrates LED displays for advertisement manufactured by in-mould hybrid integration of TOLAE electronics and photonics components.
The aim is to proof the flexibility and sustainability of the novel manufacturing process enabling a diversity of LED display products competitive with EU-labour cost.
Three different large area displays: 3D glasses free, lightpipe and backlight, will be demonstrated by three SMEs. The novel manufacturing process combines Roll-to-Sheet and Roll-to-Roll of flexible electronics with In-mould hybrid integration of the optoelectronics with the optics.
The novel displays harvest the intrinsic TOLAE benefits with thin, light weight, and bendable structures; and the specific in-mould integration benefits of a) automating the current manual assembly with high reproducibility and yield and b) enabling new optical design concepts that bring better display resolution, lower costs and energy savings. This differential value supports the effective market introduction of TOLAE based highly competitive products.
OptIntegral enables a wide choice of materials and options in process design to put the technological advances at the service of the cost, performance and time-to-market requirements of the novel displays.
The workplan sets and consolidates the value chain by the demonstration platform that links all actors, from LED suppliers to displays users. This allows to respond to market demands and to capture the user feedback on the effectiveness of the displays to communicate information and to meta-communicate attitudes towards the advertiser brand.
Three display manufacturers that are currently manufacturing and selling LED displays in EU will enlarge their portfolio by setting up pilot manufacturing lines and co-developing demonstrators adapted to their customers’ needs. This is achieved during the project with the goal to be on the market 1 year after the end of the project as a result of OptIntegral business case.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/innovation management
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/optics
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/production economics
- /social sciences/other social sciences/social sciences interdisciplinary/sustainable development
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/electromagnetism and electronics/optoelectronics
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/employment
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action