General X-ray image sensing is undergoing a major transition away from analog solutions towards Direct Radiography using digital Flat-Panel Detector (FPD) technology, offering immediate imaging, large productivity, lower dose and portability.
LORIX will develop, prototype and demonstrate large area X-ray FPD detectors enabled by TOLAE technology by combining a printed Organic Photo Diode (OPD) with existing Thin Film Transistors active matrices (TFT), in security, health and Non Destructive Testing applications.
LORIX will consider two complementary technology routes for effective market introduction:
- The short term (2020), low risk route, based on Organic Detector On Glass (oDOG) concept, integrates printed OPD layer on a-Si active matrix on glass, used for displays. This will result in highly competitive organic FPDs with higher performance at lower manufacturing cost.
- The medium (2022) term route, relying on Organic Detector On Foil (oDOF) concept, integrates a printed OPD on an organic TFT active matrix on foil. This full organic sensor on foil with improved mechanical robustness and lightweight will enable an easier penetration into nomadic X-ray markets and later will pave the way for dynamic, curved and flexible image sensors.
LORIX partners are complementary and cover the full TOLAE value chain: material supplier, equipment manufacturers, companies & research organisations for OPD & OTFT design & integration, companies for production of sensors and full systems. Major OLAE European pilot facilities, PICTIC in Grenoble, Plastic Logic in UK & Germany, will be used for effective industrial exploitation of the products in Europe. Entering an existing business, LORIX will have direct access to end users in the targeted applications.
LORIX innovations will strengthen the European industries leadership on X-ray market and will contribute to build a complete value chain with manufacturing capabilities in Europe for large area organic sensors applications.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /humanities/arts/modern and contemporary art/film
- /social sciences/economics and business
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/production economics/productivity
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action
CB4 0FX Cambridge
20692 Yokneam Llit
5684 PC Best