The objective of SCOPES is to develop a system for the concurrent engineering of families of mechanical, electro-mechanical and electronic assemblies. The system will encompass the design of both the products and the production equipment and control systems used in their manufacture.
The work will cover the following aspects:
- product design, using design-for-assembly rules and recommendations
- assembly planning, based on geometrical and topological information about the product
- design of assembly cells using a database of existing equipment
- validation of cell design by simulation, taking into account scheduling, flow control and error recovery aspects
- scheduling, monitoring and work-flow control of the shop-floor assembly system, based on the results of simulation.
Pilot demonstrations are foreseen, covering manual and automated assembly scenarios. The consortium includes industrial members supplying CAD/CAM and shop-floor control systems, who will incorporate the results of the project into their products.
MK43 0AL Cranfield