The objective of the SCALEPHA Project is to contribute to the protection and sustainable management of natural resources and ecosystems through a sustainable supply and use of raw materials in the industrial production of 100% biodegradable bio-plastic, in order to meet the needs of a growing global population within the sustainable limits of the planet's natural resources and eco-systems.
SCALEPHA activities will contribute to increasing European competitiveness, raw materials security and improving well-being, whilst assuring environmental integrity, resilience through an innovative integrated technology: Polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHAs).
European Factories of the Future will have to be SMART (high performance, reconfigurable, adaptive and evolving factories based on new technologies) and GREEN (reduced ecological footprint through a more efficient use, at factory level, of material and energy resources): SCALEPHA project will demonstrate that Biotechnologies, such PHAs production, are the strategic technologies needed to keep the European Manufacturing leading edge.
- penetrate significantly the existing bioplastic market through PHAs (in particular Biomedical, Food Packaging and Design sectors);
- diffusion and uptake of PHA innovation on a broad scale, maximising its economic and environmental benefits;
- create or enlarge new markets for related PHAs products providing opportunities for growth and jobs at Local, National and European levels.
- deploy a key environmental product obtained with smarter and greener processes addressing the challenge of resource scarcity, water and soil pollution.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/polymer science
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/production economics
- /engineering and technology/industrial biotechnology/biomaterials/bioplastics/polyhydroxyalkanoates
- /engineering and technology/other engineering and technologies/food and beverages/food packaging
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call