Periodic Reporting for period 1 - SmartComm-LED (Reconfigurable silicon architecture for connected intelligent lighting.)
Reporting period: 2015-05-01 to 2015-09-30
1. To define a novel configurable silicon architecture for the connected intelligent lighting market.
2. To verify the technical and economic viability of the proposed SmartComm-LED architecture.
3. To prepare a feasibility study which refines our market analysis and creates a strategy which enables Ikon Semiconductor to commercialise this technology.
4. To prepare an expanded business plan for the SmartComm-LED chip-set solution.
5. To identify potential partners for a future Phase-2 proposal.
Significant progress has been made on each of these objectives. Based on customer feedback we have defined a configurable chip-set that is optimised for the connected intelligent lighting market. The solution consists of 2 approaches depending on whether the application is a single-channel (white LEDs only) or multi-channel (RGB LEDs). The technical details of these 2 approaches are expanded on in the body of this report.
In addition we have carried out a technical and economic viability of the proposed solution which indicates that the proposed approach will deliver the required performance and feature-set and will result in a cost competitive solution optimised for the smart lighting market. This has also taken into account contributions from our end-user advisors and our technology subcontractors. Ikon Semiconductor has carried out a detailed market analysis, including discussions with target customers, which in turn has fed into the preliminary technical specification for the proposed chip-set. A business plan has also been prepared and it is planned that this will also form the basis of a Phase-2 application. We have also identified a number of potential partners for such a phase-2 application.
The phase-1 feasibility study has been successful and the company expects to progress the development of the proposed “SmartComm-LED” chip-set for connected intelligent lighting. We intend using the outcomes as the basis for a phase-2 proposal and also will be used to seek additional investment support. It is clear that the smart lighting market is gaining significant traction and we aim to offer the leading silicon solution for the connected intelligent lighting market.