"The proponents aim to establish an international leading company in the field of innovative medical devices for laser eye surgery, keratoplasty in particular (cornea transplantation): the objective is to become pioneers in the field of ophthalmic surgery with a novel surgical technique of cornea laser welding for keratoplasty called SWeetLight (suturing with light). The specific aim is realise a medical device able to:
• improve the quality and the overall precision of the keratoplasty,
• standardize the surgical treatment by enhancing surgeon skills using robotic platform adopting collaborative control system to optimize the welding task of corneal wounds.
• strongly reduce the risk of rejection and also of astigmatism, also respecting and preserving the donor’s cornea,
• reduce the duration of the post-hospitalization phase: faster and safer visual recovery (fast “back to work”)
• reduce the dependency of the intervention from the surgeon skills.
From “business” point of view the objective is to reach the Break Even Point (BEP) at the end of year #2, and a value of revenues of € 4 million at the end of year #5.
Field of science
- /medical and health sciences/basic medicine/pathology
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/optics/laser physics
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/sensors/optical sensors
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/surgery
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/ophthalmology
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/robotics
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/transplantation
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/automation and control systems
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSME-1 - SME instrument phase 1