Pilot error is the cause of 60-70% of aviation accidents. Current technologies require that pilots mentally convert complex instrument readings and 2D flat panel displays into 3D, 360° reality which increases their mental load and level of stress, a major negative factor in concentration and appropriate decision making.
Aero Glass is a technology that contributes to solve this problem: using Head-Mounted Displays (Epson Moverio, Google Glass or similar) it is the first to bring Augmented Reality to pilots providing an unparalleled 3D, 360° experience in the cockpit, regardless of the visibility.
EU Edge, a cutting edge software developer company has developed the concept combining its deep knowledge in augmented reality technologies and the personal background of its founder and CTO, Mr. Ákos Maróy, an active pilot himself.
In the past two years the idea became a proven business concept and the beta version of the product was also released in July 2014 based on Epson Moverio smart glasses. Currently 200 active testers are using Aero Glass in our Pioneer Beta Program giving valuable feedback from regular use.
In the current SME Instrument Phase2 project we aim to
enhance the currently limited features of the software framework
demonstrate the technology on the recently released smart glasses platforms
improve crucial technical preferences based on user feedbacks
demonstrate the impact of the technology on the general aviation sector
Our targeted primary market is general aviation - all those not considered to be operated by airlines, charter operators or the military. This segment includes 1 million pilots worldwide, more than 80% of them in our two regional target markets, the EU and the USA.
Based on the Feasibiltiy Study we conducted in the 3rd quarter of 2014 EU Edge expects to sell more than 9.000 Aero Glass packages (bundled HMD + software) achieving 10 million € annual sales revenue in the fourth year of commercialization.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/mechanical engineering/vehicle engineering/automotive engineering
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/software
- /humanities/arts/modern and contemporary art/film
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/databases
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering
- /engineering and technology/mechanical engineering/vehicle engineering/aerospace engineering/aircraft
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/transport planning/air traffic management
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call