Periodic Reporting for period 2 - TANGO (Transparent heterogeneous hardware Architecture deployment for eNergy Gain in Operation)
Reporting period: 2017-07-01 to 2018-12-31
- Three incremental versions of TANGO architecture were delivered. It shows a three layer architecture where all software components are identified to build up the proposed solution for managing the heterogeneity.
- Three incremental versions of the requirements, state of the art and market analysis were also produced so far.
- Three releases of software components have been publicly delivered and are available for external assessment by community.
- Three use cases, one for HPC at Bull and two ones from Deltatec (embedded and remote processing) have been set up and used for experiments, tests and validation of TANGO technology.
- Creation and coordination of the Heterogeneity Alliance, which already has 22 members and continuously growing, with other projects and organisations interested in similar solutions than TANGO, with the aim at creating a common critical mass of solutions, exchange information and collaborate in more ambitious solutions without overlapping. A dedicated web site, a catalogue of assets and the edition of a joint book are some of the main relevant results so far.
- The plans and actions for creating awareness and impact of the project were defined in early stages of the project and are continuously followed up through KPIs. Dissemination material and web portal have been created to support the dissemination actions.
- Six journal papers, ten conference papers, 2 books contributions, 4 academic courses, 7 organized workshops, 24 conference attended
- Four press articles, 19 trade events attended, 4 whitepapers produced, 5 press releases, 3-monthly newsletter
- One commercial video and 9 videos for demos
- Plan and implementation of the project sustainability by combining the individual exploitation plans of the partners (iterative vesions along the project), the construction of an Alliance and the open source delivery in a GitHub repository.-
- All the project templates, guidelines and procedures were put in place from the very beginning providing partners the necessary guidance for fulfilling the management processes.
- Quality and risk are being monitored from the start of the project. The required mechanisms and measures are being applied. Same for IPRs which have been collected from the beginning of the project to identify conflicts that could impact on delivery and exploitation.
- Project resources are being assessed every six months to ensure the effort and budget of the project are spent according to the project evolution.
The key novelty of the project has been the reference architecture and its implementation that will include the results of the research work into different optimisations areas.
TANGO includes a programming model with built-in support for various hardware architectures that abstracts the complexity of developing for multiple architectures, including heterogeneous clusters, heterogeneous chips and programmable logic devices. TANGO creates a new cross-layer programming approach for heterogeneous parallel hardware architectures featuring automatic deployment on different scenarios and code generation including software and hardware modelling.
Moreover, TANGO provides mechanisms that allow deployment and control of the heterogeneous parallel infrastructures, and simplifies the workflow at the same time. It automatically prepares the application to be executed into different heterogeneous architectures, deploying it, and monitoring its execution, self-adapting its configuration or usage of heterogeneous devices if necessary.
The most important outcomes of the project are released as Open Source under the efforts of the consortium to promote the TANGO Toolbox in our impact plans, but also taking advantage of Heterogeneity Alliance.
Therefore, in order for TANGO project to create impact we must cope with providing a solution to such problems. Also, the market analysis tells us that the impact of heterogeneity on all computing tasks is rapidly increasing, innovative architectures, algorithms, and specialized programming environments and tools are needed to efficiently use these new and mixed/diversified parallel architectures.
In this context, TANGO revolves around a powerful statement, our value proposition is as follows: “Simplify & Optimize Heterogeneity –Simplifying the way programmers approach the development of next generation applications.”
To do so, TANGO is focused on the technical side for providing impact to design more flexible software abstractions to fully exploit the benefits of these heterogeneous platforms, while addressing energy optimization at the same time.
Our impact plans revolve around the idea of initiating the leverage of very early stages of the tools and technologies that will be used to create applications using heterogeneous hardware. With this approach, it impacts on the tech and research communities providing advanced research to enable advancing future application development processes to a new stage in which the development process for parallel architectures are simplified, abstracted from the underlying architectures and hardware, and enable tools to consider optimized control and self-adaptation.