RIKA, as one of the European market leaders regarding log wood and pellet stoves, aims at a significant extension of its product portfolio by the development and market introduction of a new closed fireplace insert technology, the INSERTRONIC. With this technology which shall distinguish itself from competing products by significantly reduced emissions, increased efficiency as well as increased user comfort, RIKA will become a complete supplier for wood based room heaters. Thereby, RIKA aims at strengthening its position as European technology leader as well as to double its turnover until 2022. A technical concept of the INSERTRONIC, which builds on RIKA’s innovative log wood stove technology, has already been defined. Within the project the new technology shall be developed, tested and optimised in order to pass type testing at project end. A number of innovations (world-wide novelties for fireplace inserts) shall be implemented, of which the most important are (i) the utilisation of novel insulation materials as well as materials with catalytic coatings for emission reduction, (ii) the application of modern computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation tools for process design and optimisation, (iii) the implementation of an automated control and ignition system as well as (iv) the development of a flexible insertion frame and modular panelling system which provide a high flexibility regarding installation and outer appearance. Techno-economic analyses in order to keep the final product costs at a competitive level as well as dissemination, communication and commercialisation measures shall ensure a quick market introduction after project end.
Since the European closed fireplace insert market amounts to about 850,000 units/year, the new technology will have a
significant impact on a more efficient utilisation of biomass resources as well as a reduction of CO2 emissions (substitution
of fossil fuels) and therefore will be of great relevance to the Work Programme.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologymaterials engineeringcoating and films
- agricultural sciencesagricultural biotechnologybiomass
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesclassical mechanicsfluid mechanicsfluid dynamics
- engineering and technologymaterials engineeringpaper and wood
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringautomation and control systems
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesclassical mechanicsfluid mechanicscomputational fluid dynamics
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementcommerce
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call