The overall goal of Cleantech Innovations (CTI) is the upscaling of an innovative photobioreactor (a reactor to grow algae), that exceeds current alternatives on both efficiency and cost of operation, providing a competitive alternative to produce high-end bio-based components for the food industry. By optimizing the light exposure and liquid flow rate, the technology’s efficiency is expected to double its efficiency compared to current solutions.
Competing companies producing algae are encountering issues in using the wrong technologies, and producing the wrong output (wrong market). CTI’s revolutionary LAURA platform has proven a solution to the technical and operational disadvantages that are encountered in current production setups, whilst focussing on high value, high margin output products, i.e. for the food and pharma industries.
The company’s goal is to offer a commercially viable reactor that can (competitively) grow algae, which can be used as a sustainable resource in the production of valuable, natural ingredients, specifically targeting the production of i.e. special proteins, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, pigments, anti-oxidants, flavour enhancers, and precursors for medicines.
The objective for this Phase 1 feasibility study is to assess an EU roll-out plan and business plan determining for what specific end-products the LAURA platform should be launched for optimal scale-up..
Fields of science
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesagriculturesustainable agriculture
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesmicrobiologyphycology
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbiochemistrybiomoleculeslipids
- medical and health scienceshealth sciencesnutrition
- social scienceseconomics and businesseconomicsbioeconomy
- H2020-EU.3.2. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Food security, sustainable agriculture and forestry, marine, maritime and inland water research, and the bioeconomy Main Programme
- H2020-EU.3.2.4. - Sustainable and competitive bio-based industries and supporting the development of a European bioeconomy
- H2020-EU.3.2.1. - Sustainable agriculture and forestry
- H2020-EU.2.3.1. - Mainstreaming SME support, especially through a dedicated instrument
- H2020-EU.3.2.2. - Sustainable and competitive agri-food sector for a safe and healthy diet
Call for proposalSee other projects for this call