The IoF2020 project is dedicated to accelerate adoption of IoT for securing sufficient, safe and healthy food and to strengthen competitiveness of farming and food chains in Europe.
It will consolidate Europe’s leading position in the global IoT industry by fostering a symbiotic ecosystem of farmers, food industry, technology providers and research institutes.
The IoF2020 consortium of 73 partners, led by Wageningen UR and other core partners of previous key projects such as FIWARE and IoT-A, will leverage the ecosystem and architecture that was established in those projects.
The heart of the project is formed by 19 use cases grouped in 5 trials with end users from the Arable, Dairy, Fruits, Vegetables and Meat verticals and IoT integrators that will demonstrate the business case of innovative IoT solutions for a large number of application areas.
A lean multi-actor approach focusing on user acceptability, stakeholder engagement and sustainable business models will boost technology and market readiness levels and bring end user adoption to the next stage.
This development will be enhanced by an open IoT architecture and infrastructure of reusable components based on existing standards and a security and privacy framework.
Anticipating vast technological developments and emerging challenges for farming and food, the 4-year project stays agile through dynamic budgeting and adaptive decision-making by an implementation board of representatives from key user organizations. A 6 M€ mid-term open call will allow for testing intermediate results and extending the project with technical solutions and test sites.
A coherent dissemination strategy for use case products and project learnings supported by leading user organizations will ensure a high market visibility and an increased learning curve.
Thus IoF2020 will pave the way for data-driven farming, autonomous operations, virtual food chains and personalized nutrition for European citizens.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/ecology/ecosystems
- /agricultural sciences/agriculture, forestry, and fisheries/agriculture/horticulture/fruit growing
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/business model
- /engineering and technology/other engineering and technologies/food and beverages/food safety
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/internet/internet of things
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/sustainable economy
- /agricultural sciences/animal and dairy science/dairy
- /agricultural sciences/agriculture, forestry, and fisheries/agriculture/horticulture/vegetable growing
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action
9746 CR Groningen
2153LR Nieuw Vennep
1033 SE Amsterdam
3072 AP Rotterdam
24600 Chora Messinias
8253 PH Dronten
5223 DE S Hertogenbosch
2132 JD Hoofddorp
50840 San Mateo De Gallego Zaragoza
3833 AN Leusden
8200 Aarhus N
3243LA Stad Aan 'T Haringvliet
28232 Las Rozas De Madrid