The development and penetration of renewable energies, especially solar photovoltaic (PV) in the EU, plus the expected growth in installed power, is demanding new features and capabilities to PV power plants. Nowadays there are more than 215 GW of installed PV power worldwide and with an estimation of being 400 GW in 2019, of which 121 GW of them will be in Europe. ÀLITER introduces in this proposal the STORM device: a SMART PLANT MANAGER FOR UTILITY SCALE PV PLANTS WITH STORAGE SYSTEMS.
STORM, plus storage, gives a higher degree of flexibility and balance to the grid not only providing back-up power to the intermittence of the renewable sources but also complete ancillary services. All this factors combined together will easy the growth in penetration of PV and accelerate the decarbonisation of the electrical system, reducing the total CO2 emissions in more than 2.47 Gt yearly, the ancillary services represent about 8.95% of worldwide carbon emissions on electricity generation, improve the security and efficiency of electricity transmission and distribution by reducing unplanned loop flows, grid congestion, voltage and frequency instabilities, collaborating actively to market prices stabilization while also ensuring a higher level of security of supply and helping the transition to the zero carbon scenario.
STORM is a system with:
• Complete Ancillary Services.
• Interoperability: Inverters and storage systems independent.
• Predictability: based on weather forecast, short term production forecast to enable advanced smart storage strategies.
• Clustering: capability to group some small/medium PV plants and manage them as a large one.
• Internet of electricity: sharing grid information through a cloud server
Objectives of STORM project are:
• Growth revenues in 5 years an average of 100% per annum with 2.2M€ turnover and a cumulative turnover of more than 37 M€.
• Creation of 18 new jobs.
• Market expansion to EU, Chile, India, USA, China and Japan
Fields of science
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencessoftwaresystem softwareoperating systems
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectrical engineeringpower engineeringelectric power transmission
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementbusiness model
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringenergy and fuelsrenewable energy
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencessoftwaresoftware development
- social sciencessociologysocial issues
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectrical engineeringpower engineeringelectric power generation
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementcommerce
- H2020-EU.3.3. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Secure, clean and efficient energy
- H2020-EU.2.1.1. - INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP - Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies - Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)
- H2020-EU.2.3.1. - Mainstreaming SME support, especially through a dedicated instrument
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call