Black holes are among the most fascinating and enigmatic objects in our universe. The internal structure of black holes is of significant interest for quantum gravity, for astrophysical phenomena, and for the study of quantum entanglement in systems with many degrees of freedom.
The Black Hole Information Paradox, which sharply demonstrates the incompatibility of Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity, is a primary motivation for this proposal. The proposed research will also yield insight into fundamental aspects of quantum gravity such as singularity resolution and the emergence of spacetime.
The research described in this proposal studies black hole microstates in String Theory, supergravity and holography. The ultimate goal of this line of research is a complete characterization of the internal structure of black holes.
The objectives of this proposal are:
1) To establish the microscopic description of several classes of black hole microstate supergravity solutions, through holographic studies;
2) To construct and study supergravity solutions describing microstates of non-extremal black holes, in particular solving for solutions that display new topological structures;
3) To investigate the observability of black hole horizon-scale structure at experiments such as LIGO, through interdisciplinary work to build models of string-theoretic black hole internal structure and predictions for experiment that can be tested in the near future and beyond.
These objectives will be achieved by combining the applicant’s knowledge and recent results on black hole microstate solutions with the expertise of different members of the host research group in the areas of holography, supergravity solutions and gravitational wave experiments.
Through this research, the applicant will develop new technical, interdisciplinary, research leadership and management skills, significantly enhancing his career potential.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesrelativistic mechanics
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesquantum physics
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesastronomyobservational astronomygravitational waves
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesastronomyastrophysicsblack holes
- natural sciencesphysical sciencestheoretical physicsstring theory