Packaging tapes are the most widely used pressure sensitive adhesive tapes with global production in excess of 10 billion sq. meters per year . Their primary application is corrugated carton closure. However, existing solutions for this application present 3 key constrains:
1.RECYBLABILITY – WASTE MANAGEMENT: One of the major issues for the label printing industry is the waste the process leaves behind, particularly the much maligned release liner. With consumption of self-adhesive label materials in Europe in 2010 totalling 5.3 billion square metres, translating into some 360,000 tonnes of paper liner waste emerging from end users.
2.TAMPER-EVIDENT: Cartons sealed with PSA or many of the water-activated adhesives are not secure and are not easily accessed without revealing any signs of tampering.
3.TAPE SEALING PROBLEM IN REFRIGERATED PACKAGES: Both PSAs and Water-Activated lack adherence depending on temperatures. They typically reduce or lose their tack at low temperatures and reduce their shear holding ability at high temperatures; special adhesives are made to function at high or low temperatures.
We have developed a product that provides a proper answer to this 3 needs: TAPEMELT: an adhesive system thermal activated that cover the existing constrains in the carton packing industry. It is 1) Low-cost; 2) Fast to apply 3) Strong: the integrity and safety of the goods are not compromised 3) Allows custom printing; 4) Theft-protection – Tamper evident 5) it is made of paper: 100% recyclable, repulpable and biodegradable.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/paper and wood
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/waste management/recycling
- /engineering and technology/mechanical engineering/manufacturing engineering
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/waste management
- H2020-EU.2.1.5. - INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP - Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies - Advanced manufacturing and processing
- H2020-EU.2.1.3. - INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP - Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies - Advanced materials
- H2020-EU.2.3.1. - Mainstreaming SME support, especially through a dedicated instrument
- H2020-EU.2.1.2. - INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP - Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies – Nanotechnologies
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSME-1 - SME instrument phase 1