NADiRA aims to incorporate Copernicus, other Earth Observation products and in-situ IoT devices into mAgriTM, an existing value chain orchestration platform connecting, in smallholder contract farming, producers with banks, insurers, input providers and agro-industries to control risks and improve the productivity, security, and welfare of tens of thousands of African farmers.
By industrializing EO products , NADiRA reduces mAgriTM’s operating costs, while increasing the timeliness, granularity and reach of its following services: (1) Agricultural investment risk mapping, to reduce finance institutions cash-out and increase availability of input credit to smallholders, (2) More robust, affordable agricultural insurance contracts, to reduce persistent climate risk, (3) Improved smallholder tactical management of crop nutrient deficiencies and post-harvest losses to increase productivity, harvest quality and income.
NADiRA demonstrates, on a large market scale, the economic and commercial viability of the combination of EO, IoT and mobile technology and its leverage on the new business model implemented by MANOBI, Swiss Re, credit and insurance institutions and agro-industries to improve smallholder productivity. Four pilots run in parallel in Senegal and Nigeria targets (i) different crop types and production systems (irrigated rice, rainfed peanuts, maize and sorghum) in (ii) 10 crop campaigns (4 irrigated, 3 rainfed) and (iii) various production environments and management practices. This demonstration sustains the development of a business plan with financial objectives and an associated roadmap to capture 30% of the addressable market in Africa.
The outreach actions benefits from the communications channels of the NADiRA partners, active in Africa (MANOBI, Swiss Re, ICRISAT, local banks and farmers associations), in Europe (SPACEBEL, University of Liège, Viveris and EUGENIUS association) and Asia (ICRISAT). A Copernicus Relay will be established in West Africa.
Fields of science
- social scienceseconomics and businesseconomicsproduction economicsproductivity
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringnatural resources managementwater management
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringdigital electronics
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsensorssmart sensors
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementbusiness models
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action
94150 Rungis Cedex