This proposal aims to replicate the successful Energy Savings Insurance (ESI) model in the three highest potential countries in Europe – Italy, Portugal and Spain, train key market stakeholders, and deliver an ESI Europe Toolkit alongside a long-term business model to enable the broader roll out of the ESI Europe model in other European countries.
The ESI model, developed by Stiftung BASE, consists of financial and non-financial mechanisms designed to work together to improve the risk-return profile of EE investments and overcome the associated barriers. The ESI model targets small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and creates the conditions for them to upgrade specific old inefficient technologies to new EE technologies. The ESI model presents a proven and unique market based approach that makes use of distribution channels and products that are already available on the market. The ESI model has been successfully implemented in Colombia and Mexico, and is currently being developed or planned in a further ten countries in Latin America and Asia. ESI has been recognized as one of the most promising instruments to mobilize private sector investments in EE.
This proposal brings together a consortium of key players needed to implement the model in the three target countries, to distribute the outcomes and ESI Europe Toolkit across Europe, and to ensure sustainability and further outreach of outcomes.
The expected impacts include (i) to have trained and increased capacity of 1,665 stakeholders after lifetime of the project; (ii) to have mobilised between €978.6m and €1,711m private investment in EE projects within six years of project start; and (iii) to generate corresponding primary energy savings of between 1,582 and 2,766 GWh/year after six years of project start.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologymechanical engineeringthermodynamic engineering
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectrical engineeringpower engineeringelectric power generationcombined heat and power
- engineering and technologymaterials engineeringtextiles
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementbusiness models
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringenergy and fuelsrenewable energysolar energyphotovoltaic
Funding SchemeCSA - Coordination and support action
See on map
See on map
36310 Vigo Pontevedra
See on map