Routine diagnosis on biopsies and tissues is performed by expert pathologists. However, the pathology sector faces a major crises, due to soaring numbers of biopsies for diagnosis, coupled with decreasing numbers of trained pathologists, which is affecting patients. Technology can alleviate this crises by using computer aided diagnosis (CAD) to increase productivity, reduce costs and streamline workflow.
Deciphex Ltd is an Irish company developing an innovative Computer Aided Diagnosis (CAD) system which will revolutionize the medical diagnosis pathology sector. Our ‘PATHOLYTIX’ system uses state-of-the-art artificial intelligence techniques to automate the laborious and costly pathology assessment (currently done via microscope). By transforming this centuries old clinical practice, we aim to become a market leader in new CAD industry.
We currently have prototype technology and preliminary data, to identify different tissue and cell types. In this feasibility study we will perform pilot studies in a US based clinical pathologist, to demonstrate our tool can identify various diseases. In Phase 2 of the SME Instrument, we will undergo additional development, extensive validation, and build the data management framework and user interface.
There is a large global target market for PATHOLYTIX, which is growing each year driven by an increasing population and higher prevalence of diseases (such as cancer). Hence hospitals and clinics worldwide process hundreds of millions of biopsies per year. With regards to competitors, there is no direct competition. Competitors offer individual components of the pathological workflow, not fit-for-purpose solution like PATHOLYTIX.
Overall, PATHOLYTIX would have a big impact on the pathology sector, by increasing productivity and reducing costs. This should have a knock on effect for the global and EU markets, particularly for patients as diagnosis becomes more efficient.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/production economics/productivity
- /medical and health sciences/basic medicine/pathology
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/surgery/surgical procedure
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/artificial intelligence
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- H2020-EU.3.1.4. - Active ageing and self-management of health
- H2020-EU.2.1.1. - INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP - Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies - Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)
- H2020-EU.2.3.1. - Mainstreaming SME support, especially through a dedicated instrument
- H2020-EU.3.1.6. - Health care provision and integrated care
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call