In recent years, the energy transition towards renewables has significantly accelerated. Germany is shutting down nuclear power plants and the fate of coal-fired power plants has been determined by the climate agreement in Paris. In short - fossil fuels will be replaced by renewable technologies. This is in line with the Renewable Energy Directive, that requires the EU to provide 27% of its energy generation from renewables by 2030.
Adaptive has developed a unique energy storage solution offering a short-term, high-power output. This has been identified as the most efficient way to stabilize the power grids. Transmission system operators need the flywheel to find a balance between energy generation and consumption. This allows electricity grids to operate without conventional power plants while keeping the grid stable.
This project will investigate the business cases for dynamic grid balancing with the innovative and adaptive flywheel by questioning key stakeholders in several markets. The flywheel is modular and offers unparalleled configurability in terms of power to energy ratio, which makes it the first dynamic energy storage system whose discharge duration can be matched exactly to the customer’s needs.
After the feasibility assessment, Adaptive will apply for Phase 2 funding to build a pilot installation outside of Central Europe. This enables the company to further scale up its business and increase its revenue while allowing the creation of new jobs along the supply chain and providing a high return to the EU economy. In addition to that, it allows for a global reduction of CO2-emissions by increasing the permissible share of renewable energy in electricity grids.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectrical engineeringpower engineeringelectric power transmission
- social sciencessocial and economic geographytransportpublic transport
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringenergy and fuelsrenewable energy
- engineering and technologyother engineering and technologiesnuclear engineering
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementcommerce
- H2020-EU.3.3. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Secure, clean and efficient energy
- H2020-EU.2.1.1. - INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP - Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies - Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)
- H2020-EU.2.3.1. - Mainstreaming SME support, especially through a dedicated instrument
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call