Periodic Reporting for period 1 - CoCirculation2 (CO-FUNDED Brain Circulation Scheme 2)
Reporting period: 2018-07-02 to 2020-07-01
Enhancing the potential and future career perspectives of researchers by funding excellent research and providing attractive working conditions, the CoCirculation2 offer high quality professional opportunities open to researchers of any age, nationality or discipline. Attracting 100 researchers who are non-residents to Turkey to work for longer periods in Turkish research performing organizations will be beneficial to the research organizations and to the Turkish research landscape, as well as ERA in general.
The objectives of CoCirculation2 are to enhance the career development of 100 Experienced Researchers wishing to diversify their individual competence through advanced training, international and inter-sectoral mobility opportunities through incoming mobility into Turkey.
The program website provided a List of Partner Organizations and contact details of the Call Secretariat, and contains all program documentation. The call secretariat made sure the website has kept up to date, revisions and changes have applied and the application dates of calls announced on the website. TÜBİTAK have prepared a dedicated CoCirculation2 Guide for Applicants. The GfA has updated based on the requirements of the programme for second Call.
The eligibility checks has carried out by the Call Secretariat via the eBİDEB Portal, on anonymous proposals and according to the eligibility criteria listed in call text and announced on the website. 124 proposals fulfil the eligibility criterion in 1st call and 179 for the second call. The Call Secretariat nominated the experts based on the match between the research fields of the submitted proposals and the expertise of the experts. Prior to each evaluation process, the Call Secretariat gave a briefing to the experts. Each expert has written an Individual Assessment Report (IAR), and submit that to the Panel Management System (PMS) expert intranet. Following the submission of the assessment reports, the experts were invited to finalize the evaluation process through participating in consensus meetings. Experts are attended to a face-to-face meeting at TÜBİTAK Headquarters. Each selection committee had an appointed Chair who is an experienced expert or a TÜBİTAK staff member. One independent expert in each selection committee acted as a rapporteur for summarizing the comments, scores and consensus of the experts, and drafting the final Evaluation Summary Report (ESR). Call Secretariat accumulated all final scores in one overall Ranked List of the proposals. For the first call the threshold for the granting was determined as 4,40 (or 88 out of 100) and 10 of the 123 proposals were above the threshold. For the second call the threshold for the granting was determined as 4,45 (or 89 out of 100) and 30 of the 179 proposals were above the threshold. The eBİDEB portal used as a main tool to inform applicants. The eBİDEB portal kept up to date at each step of the process. All applicants regardless of the results provided with an Evaluation Summary Report (ESR), which comprises full feedback of the selection committee and the (anonymous) comments. 5 of 6 researchers supported in call 2018 completed their first term of projects, their progress reports evaluated and approved by independent experts.
• KPI1: Calls for proposals: Our goal was opening calls annually and reaching 4 calls at the end of the project. Call for 2018 and call for 2019 have opened by call secretariat, TÜBİTAK-BİDEB.
• KPI2: Minimum number of applications received per call: Our goal was receiving minimum 100 applications per call. 1st call has received 135 applications and 124 of them fulfil the eligibility criterion and second call received 185 applications and 179 of them fulfil the eligibility criterion.
• KPI3: Number of proposals funded per call: Our goal was funding 25 proposals in each call. 1st call has started to fund 8 researchers. We have offered 30 fellowships for the second call to reach our goal, supporting 100 researcher in through 4 calls.
• KPI4: Division of sector from host organizations: 75% academia and 25% industry: Our goal was funding 75% of proposals from academic host organizations and 25% from industry. Division for the 1st call is 87,5% academia and 12,5% industry (government).
• KPI5: Number of proposals from female applicants: Our goal was receiving 40% of proposals from female applicants. 1st call has received 33,8% of the proposals from female researchers.
• KPI6: Offer of at least 40% of the fellowships to either gender: Our goal was offering of at least 40% of the fellowships to either gender. In the 1st call 1 female and 7 male researchers in the second call 5 female 25 male researchers has offered fellowship.