Periodic Reporting for period 1 - MiCoBion (Microbial Communities in Biomedical and Environmental Areas, and Systems Biology)
Reporting period: 2018-09-01 to 2019-11-30
Moreover, the short and mid-stays of young and senior researchers have already initiated, which have resulted in relevant research discoveries and evidence to their own research topics.
Through visits of experts, speakers and members of the PhD committee the objectives of the professional growth of scientists are being covered. In addition, media training for scientists resulted in positive feedback of the participants, who they consider relevant to their own careers as an important measure to develop “soft skills”.
The workshops (Single DNA molecule sequencing and proteomics) were organized for training in top-notch technologies, intellectual research approaches, networking among experts and strategies in innovative research and technology transfer. These workshops will have an important impact in the following conferences organized in the frame of MiCoBion project.
• Scientific impact. The twinning activities and increased cooperation between the partners are rising chances for research funding at national as well as international level, presentation in international conferences, 5 so far, and production of high impact factor publications (4 so far+1 book). In the long-term, collaboration between the partners will be maintained thanks to joint research projects funded from national and international sources, applications from which five national applications have been granted.
• Industrial impact. MiCoBion focuses in strengthen the translation of research into practice. Therefore, MiCoBion will facilitate the knowledge transfer in how to set up a collaboration between university and industry, how to proceed with invention, how to start spin-off company etc. (An agreement has been signed about a scientific collaboration with Smart Brain s.r.o. An Agreement with Biopharm is in preparation). The synergies between the academic and private sector (STAR region) work in both directions as experts from private companies have met during events organized with STAR region. After the end of the project, CUNI will ensure an ongoing involvement of the industrial partners in its events.
• Educational impact. Inside CUNI, the knowledge transfer is applied in enriching the curriculum. Mobility programs for students and scientists are supported between the partner institutions. Additionally, educational activities for general public are planned, from which already several took place, for example an exhibition during the anniversary of the CUNI-Faculty of Science and a trade fair.
• Technological impact. The technological impact is already visible thanks to the complementarity of the partners. CUNI is already able to better utilize its existing equipment for excellent-level type of research after enhancing the specialized methods for proteomic and genomic analysis (single molecule DNA/RNA sequencing using Oxford MinIon nanotechnology, detection of protein modification by mass spectrometry, softwares for big data analysis).
• Social impact. Thanks to MiCoBion communication and dissemination strategies, the impact at regional, national as well as European levels is progressing in order to create new jobs, particularly for specialists in bioinformatics, increasing international visibility of Vestec and the STAR Region, a motivation for high school students to choose scientific careers.