DNA Script is a biotech company founded in 2014, developing an enzymatic process for DNA synthesis, i.e. manufacturing DNA. Creating DNA is crucial for R&D in numerous fields of synthetic biology which tackle essential societal issues: climate change thanks to the production of bioproduced materials, healthcare with new biotherapies - especially against cancer, or food security using better strains of plants. Synthesis is also an essential step towards of DNA data storage.
All these applications form the long-awaited synthetic biology revolution, and all rely on the capability to efficiently write life code to engineer biological systems. Current DNA synthesis methods are the major bottleneck. The enzymatic process developed by DNA Script, inspired by Nature, aims at improving both speed and efficiency by orders of magnitude. Avoiding the use of toxic reagents, this process will also contribute to a lower environmental footprint for this industry, as well as for its downstream applications.
DNA Script’s technological performances in the lab are 3 to 6 months away to overcome current offer. Project Rosalind will accelerate industrial scale-up of DNA Script’s production capability and performances. By developing extensive knowledge in DNA applications and structuring the company’s strategic and commercialization capabilities, Project Rosalind will also help DNA Script go commercial.
Enabling technologies such as DNA synthesis have tremendous impact on an ecosystem by accelerating R&D and industrialization cycles of its customer. The project will have a positive impact on the European biotech environment, and potentially trigger the emergence of European biotech leaders. Ultimately, through the numerous applications of synthetic DNA, it will benefit all European citizens.
Fields of science
- social sciencespolitical sciencepolitical transitionsrevolutions
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesgenetics and hereditydna
- natural sciencesbiological sciencessynthetic biology
- engineering and technologyother engineering and technologiesfood and beveragesfood safety
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesatmospheric sciencesclimatologyclimatic changes
- medical and health sciencesclinical medicinecancer
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbiochemistrybiomoleculesnucleic acid
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call