The Open Cloud for Research Environments consortium combines the expertise of four partners to enable access and drive the adoption and use of commercial digital services by the European research community. Essential for interdisciplinary research, these services include:
• Commodity type commercial digital services, such as:
• Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS), providing compute, storage, network and related services, and a
platform allowing customers to develop, run, and manage applications as a public cloud service.
• Software as a Service (SaaS), an on-demand software licensing and delivery model in which software is used by the customer on a
subscription basis and is hosted by the supplier as a public cloud service. File storage (sync and share), online collaboration,
simulation and virtualisation tools are example services.
• Secure Earth Observation commercial services, which make use of the Copernicus Data and Information Access Services (DIAS).
After gathering user requirements, the OCRE will manage the adoption funds and buy resources from the selected suppliers (OCRE will act as customer) and make cloud resources available to institutions. Such a delivery vehicle is effective and efficient for the supply as well as the demand side.
Service adoption is the key focus of this work. A legal and technical mechanism (The OCRE Business Management Platform) will be created to integrate a range of these commercial services into the EOSC hub in order to make them more easily available to researchers.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/software
- /social sciences/sociology/governance/public services
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeRIA - Research and Innovation action