Periodic Reporting for period 1 - ETIP PV - SEC II (Support to all stakeholders from the Photovoltaic sector and related sectors to contribute to the SET-Plan)
Reporting period: 2018-10-01 to 2020-03-31
ETIP PV is an independent organization of solar energy experts and professionals with a full coverage of relevant backgrounds. It develops joint European strategies and plans in the fields of research & innovation as well as market development. It also serves as the recognised point of reference for key decision and policy makers and provides high quality analyses and background documents on photovoltaic technology, economics, applications, system integration and other aspects that are important for the development of a competitive industry sector and growing markets. ETIP PV recognises the paramount importance and potential impact of the Strategic Energy Technology Plan (SET-Plan) and contributes to its activities.
The work of the ETIP PV is organized in accordance to its Terms of Reference from May 2016. The Steering Committee is the permanent decision-making body of the ETIP PV. The work of the ETIP PV takes the form of ad hoc working groups (WGs) which are proposed for specific tasks by the Steering Committee. The Working Groups of the ETIP PV presently cover the areas of:
1. PV LCOE competitiveness
2. Digital PV and power grids
3. Industrial policy
4. Integrated Photovoltaics
5. PV Quality and Reliability
Operation on all levels runs on a voluntary basis with personal capacity of experts and with the professional support from the ETIP PV SEC – II Secretariat.
The main responsibilities of the Secretariat are:
• Organisational and operational support to the ETIP PV Members
• Organization of the platform meetings as well as the Annual ETIP PV Conference and ETIP PV workshops
• Coordination of the flow of information within the platform and between the platform and its target audience
• Perform editing and graphic-design work on the ETIP PV’s written output
• Publish and publicise the main outputs of the WGs and the platform
The Secretariat partners WIP, EUREC and SOLARUNITED have run this project to provide these services, fulfil other aspects of the mission of ETIP PV and ensure that the ETIP PV was running according to its Terms of Reference, as adopted by its Steering Committee.
1. Re-definition and promotion of the ETIP PV Vision ‘Photovoltaic Solar Energy: Big and Beyond - Sustainable energy to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees’
In November 2018, ETIP PV finalized and published the document ‘Photovoltaic Solar Energy: Big and Beyond - Sustainable energy to reach the 1.5 degrees climate target’, timely in line with the discussions at the COP24 intergovernmental climate conference in Katowice.
The Vision was translated to eight national languages (English, German, Italian, Polish, Dutch, Slovenian, Spanish and Greek). They are available for download on the ETIP PV homepage (www.etip-pv.eu)
The Vision has been strongly promoted and distributed at the most relevant PV events in 2019 including the ETIP PV annual conference, the EU PVSEC, and several IEA PVPS and IRENA workshops. It was presented to the SET Plan Secretariat at the SET Plan Implementation Working Groups workshop in Bucharest on 11 June 2019. It was also presented to the ETIP SNET in one of their Governing Board meetings. Other channels, such as press releases, website announcements, newsletters and social media have also been exploited.
2 .Support to the realization of the Implementation Plan to achieve the targets of the SET-Plan Declaration of Intent (i.e SET-Plan Declaration on Strategic Targets in the context of an Initiative for Global Leadership in Photovoltaics ).
The Secretariat keeps the Steering Committee informed about the progress of the Implementation Working Group (IWG PV) and coordinates the flow of information between the two. The Secretariat also invites other H2020 projects in support of the Implementation Plan such as PV IMPACT and SMARTSPEND into the ETIP PV discussions in order to exploit and maximize synergies.
At the IWG PV meeting on 10th October 2019, it was concluded that some of the targets of the Implementation Plan have to be re-thought and amended. The revision of targets underpins the significant development of the PV business in total and shows the dedication of the industry to support the national and European R&D activities via ETIP PV. ETIP PV also makes suggestions for useful metrics.
3. Support to the European PV Manufacturing and R&D industry
ETIP PV ambitions to continue promoting the very idea that Europe can and must be a manufacturing centre for one of the key technologies of this century, driving investments in the hundreds of billions of EUR range in the coming years. The PV industry has a bright future ahead in Europe, thanks to the world-class research-centres, equipment manufacturers and producers.
The Secretariat has supported the Steering Committee in this direction ensuring that the work of the ETIP PV working groups contribute to this overarching goal: the subjects of quality and reliability, Integrated PV, digital PV and grid and more deliver intelligence and recommendations to support the rebirth of the European manufacturing industry.
4. Raise public awareness about the role of Photovoltaic Solar Energy in the energy system with publications by the working groups and the organization of workshops
In this reporting period the Secretariat has helped the Working Groups to produce these reports and to spread knowledge of them:
- ‘Vehicle-integrated Photovoltaics (VIPV) as a core source for electricity in road transport’
- ‘Solar Skins: An opportunity for greener cities’ (Joint report with Solar Power Europe)
- ‘SOLARUNITED Quality Initiative: Harmonized data collection from the field’
ETIP PV also organizes a public conference every year with the aim of fostering cohesion of the stakeholders involved in the PV sector and to inform the general public. In this reporting period, the Secretariat coordinated the organisation of the following conference:“Readying for the TW era” conference on 28&29 May 2019 in Brussels, Belgium.
The Secretariat also informs and assists the Steering Committee to respond to public consultations and/or drafting Open Letters and Position Papers, such as:
- Position Paper on Strategic Planning and Missions in Horizon Europe (March 2019)
- Input to DG CLIMA on design of ETS Innovation Fund (PV) (November 2019)
- ETIP PV Statement on European Green Deal: Solar Photovoltaics (Solar PV) at the heart of the European Green Deal (December 2019)
• Increased cohesion of the stakeholders in the PV sector to reach agreements on concrete priorities and strategies for the large-scale deployment of photovoltaic solar energy technologies in the context of the SET-Plan
• Support to the realisation of the Implementation Plan to achieve the targets of the SET-Plan Declaration of Intent
• Support to the European PV Manufacturing and R&D industry