OMI/CARGOTRACK aims to integrate different microprocessor technologies from the OMI Eurocell Library (ARM and Transputer microprocessors) with application specific circuitry to build ASICs which can be embedded as subsystems in a general computer system. To demonstrate the functionality of the ASICs they will be integrated in the existing Pan-Drive Vehicle Navigation System as a demonstration platform. To exploit and demonstrate the benefits of the ASICs, the modified Pan-Drive Navigation System with its extended capabilities will be interfaced to the operational system of a main player in the road haulage business and demonstrated under real frame conditions.
The detailed objectives of the OMI/CARGOTRACK project are to realise:
- an ASIC for a flexible communication subsystem for mobile communication
- an ASIC for a scalable positioning subsystem for different kinds of vehicles
- a demonstration platform to exploit and demonstrate the benefits of both subsystems under real frame conditions in an application in the road haulage industry.
OMI/CARGOTRACK intends to use the results of the following OMI projects:
- OMI/DE-ARM (6909): ARM macrocells for deeply embedded applications from the Eurocell Library; system simulation methodologies for deeply embedded systems; and testing and debugging methodologies
- OMI/TMP (7250): T425 transputer macrocells for embedded systems from the Eurocell Library.
- OMI/ Standards project (7267): framework for working environment for ASICs specification and design based on the Eurocell Library.
An exploitation committee will establish a business plan for CARGOTRACK and coordinate the marketing activities of the partners.