The primary purpose of DOLPHIN is, through maximising synergy and the exchange of key information, to support the objectives of ACTS as they relate to Domain V projects. DOLPHIN has 5 major objectives:
- to analyse and to consolidate and harmonise the directions and results of the projects in Domain V
- to promote cooperation amongst these projects
- to facilitate interactions between the projects and external fora and standards groups
- to obtain requirements and direction from the external stakeholders related to Domain V, specifically including the setting up of an Expert Panel
- to disseminate and promote the results from Domain V to Europe including CEE.
- Description, analysis and consolidation of the directions and results of the Domain V projects
- Experts panel, fora, workshops and conferences summary reports and conclusions
- Technical guidelines for the implementation of IBC in Domain V
- Mechanisms and concrete actions for disseminating and promoting the Domain V results in Western and Eastern Europe
The project will have a direct impact on:
- the Programme, by improving the cooperation and the synergy amongst the Domain V projects, as well as by harmonising their results and having these results checked by external experts,
- the IT Industry and the Economy in general, by accelerating the implementation and the exploitation of IBC, especially in Eastern Europe.
Main contributions to the programme objectives:
A framework for the co-operation and co-ordination of ACTS Domain 5 projects.
Contribution to the programme
Consolidated and disseminated the results of ACTS Domain 5.
DOLPHIN will accomplish these objectives by:
- continuous involvement of a small but expert core staff coming from the project,
- involvement of outside experts coming from industry, universities, and laboratories, forming an Expert Panel,
- development of IS&N Fora, Conferences & Workshops,
- establishment of special mechanisms for disseminating and promoting the results of Domain V throughout Western and Eastern Europe.
More specifically DOLPHIN is conducting the following 12 actions:
1 - Periodic visits to projects at which information will be given to each project describing items of interest to the project coming from other projects, and from clusters and chains to which the project does not belong, from fora and standards bodies, and from the Expert Panel,
2 - Participation at Domain V cluster meetings and at meetings of the ACTS chains that are important to Domain V, as well as at fora and standards body meetings related to Domain V projects,
3 - Reports generated, by the person from DOLPHIN attending such meetings, giving a description of the audience, a description of the highlights of the meeting, and a detailed description of the issues and topics that could be pertinent to the Domain V projects,
4 - A newsletter generated for each ACTS Concertation Meeting summarising these meeting reports as well as other information of interest to Domain V projects,
5 - Diagrams maintained showing the known links between projects and fora and standards bodies,
6 - Specific reports for each project are generated by the DOLPHIN project contact for each visit to a Domain V project,
7 - An information base formed containing all these reports and diagrams,
8 - Organisation & participation in workshops, for encouraging links between the Domain V projects and industry fora, or for general dissemination of Domain V results,
9 - Maintenance of a WWW server for Domain V, linked to the InfoWin server
10 - Folder and brochures for Domain V dissemination
11 - Use of ACTS multipliers (WATT, InfoWin, SMARTS) to help in dissemination
12 - An Expert Panel to provide inputs on industry trends and user needs for use in helping determine strategic direction of ACTS and future programmes, with mid and long term effects.
The figure gives a general framework of these actions, related to the various groups that are a source or targets for these actions. Internally, information from the projects is obtained through "visits" to the projects and participation at cluster and chain meetings. The resulting information is analysed and a synthesis constructed, showing a consolidation of project results for the short term, medium term, and long term. Requirements are obtained from Industry, and also, specifically, from Eastern Europe, generally through workshops. In addition, an Expert Panel will meet periodically to overview the results of the Domain V projects and provide an indication of current and future industry and user trends. All this information is gathered into a data base providing a global view of the Domain V results and relations both internal and with external fora and standards bodies. Actions coming out include support for Guidelines developed by the chains, support for contributions to fora and standards bodies, recommendations (from the Expert Panel) for future ACTS Calls for Proposals, and for the 5th Framework Programme in the area of IS&N, and various actions for dissemination of the results of the Domain V projects.
- Improvement of cooperation and synergy amongst the Domain V projects
- Harmonisation of Domain V projects results. Dissemination and promotion of these results in the Community and Eastern Europe
- Acceleration of implementation and exploitation of IBC in the Domain V