The research tasks succesfully completed are as follows:
Deliverable related to the physical, chemical and minerological properties of the fly-ash.
- The major species present in the three physical forms of fly-ash and their stoichiometry have been characterised. Particle size and shape data has also been obtained.
Deliverable related to the leaching of fly-ash.
- The leaching conditions have been defined.
Deliverable related to the separation of the metals.
- The metals have been separated as chemicals. In the case of nickel it has also been recovered as the element by electrodeposition.
Deliverable related to the purification of the chemical products.
- Development of the techniques to produce purified vanadium compounds.
- Development of the techniques for purifying nickel compounds.
The vanadium compounds have been purified to give the desired chemical purity.
Both nickel compounds and nickel have been obtained with the necessary purity.
The research proposal will be directed at recovering vanadium and nickel from fly-ash and boiler residues produced from the combustion of Orimulsion fuel oil burning power stations . An integrated metal recovery and waste treatment up grading facility will be developed.
The major research tasks are:
1. Assessment of relevant European Community Legislation to determine the maximum metal concentrations for final landfill and allow process specification.
2. Development of optimum extraction for vanadium and nickel from Orimulsion fly-ash at high extraction efficiency.
3. Development of purification process for vanadium and nickel.
4. Development of best techno-economic process for recovering vanadium and nickel as metal,oxide or specified chemicals.
5. Development of secondary waste process for upgrading or treating waste.
6. Construct integrated metal recovery and waste treatment upgrading facility.
7. Commission and determine material balances and energy requirements.
8. Specify design requirement for 200MW and 500MW power station boilers.
Successful completion should enable the European Community to gain independence from existing vanadium suppliers and reduce imports of nickel.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
PA4 8UW Renfrew