Partial integration tests of the various system's modules were carried out at different levels during the course of the project. These tests indicated the need for introducing changes in the system, mainly on issues such as the type of the sensors installed on the mobile equipment, the communication protocol and the definition of the interfaces between high level application software modules.
After finishing the sensor and equipment installation on board the mining machinery at the test mine site (by middle 1995), all project's effort was focused on firmware and software debugging, as well as on system integration, tuning and commissioning. The validation period for the system, as provided in the original project's work-programme is considered to be short for the size and complexity of this project, and will be extended after the contract termination date till the end of 1996. The initial results obtained till the time of writing this report are positive and shows that the project's objectives have been met. However, the partners of this project feel that it is necessary to continue and complete the validation procedures for the final assessment of the system in terms of performance and reliability.
The proposed system is directed at developing an Integrated Monitoring and Dispatch control system for the mining and construction Industry. The system will comprise :
- A mobile unit on board of each equipment for monitoring both the equipment operations and current status of the equipment from the maintenance point of view.
- A data acquisition and data communication system via radio link.
- A real-time production monitoring and dispatch decision making modules, which will provide on-line information and commands for the efficient operation of the loader/truck system.
- A production management and information system.
- A production planning and simulation module with an animator.
- A predictive maintenance module.
With the realization of such a system it is expected to have productivity gains in the order of 6-13% through the better utilization of the fleet of equipment, the reduction of the required number of truck/loader fleet and the increase of the equipment production rates. In addition the introduction of such a system will provide better working conditions for the employees, and will contribute towards an improved deposits exploitation policy.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
38068 Rovereto Trento