Objectives and Problems to be solved: The main objective is the implementation, owing to the conception and the realisation of a pre-industrial machine, of a smart window:
- with sufficient glazing area to meet the market,
- using a technology which supplies the glazing with three operating modes:
- a reflective mode limiting the glazing overheating,
- a transparent mode with an excellent transparency,
- a scattering mode having a grey scale,
- for which the operating modes don't require energy consumption and where the transition from one to the other mode is fast (10 ms) thanks to an applied voltage or voltage pulse,
- allowing a high solar factor modulation: a Solar Heat Gain Factor (SHGS) between 0.3 and 0.8.and a high daylight modulation between 0.1 and 0.8.
- with a good lifetime. Description of the work:
- Design and realisation of a pre-industrial machine allowing to manufacture switch able glazing using PNLC (Polymer Network Liquid Crystal) technology devised in a previous con-tract (SmartWin, contract JOR3-CT97-0068). Currently the relevant technology permits to carry out to laboratory scale A4 format area samples with good quality. In the framework of the pre-sent project, the goal is to manufacture a pre- industrial scale switch able glazing of around 1 m2 (0.80 m x 0.60 m in a first time, then 1.2 m x 0.8 m).
- Improvement of the existing PNLC material technology and transfer of these improvements to the production process used by the machine.
- Realisation of several surface areas on the glazing in order to improve he solar and day-light control possibilities.%:- Validation of the obtained glazing by a series of optical and thermal tests - among others in a PASSYS Test Cell and a calorimetric thermal chamber.
- Room and building simulations on daylighting, cooling and heating and on thermal and visual comfort.
- Taking into account the architectural demand and more precise evaluation of potential market. Expected Results and Exploitation Plans :Month 18: switch able active glazings; 60 cm x 80 cm.Month 36: switch able active glazings; 120 cm x 80 cm.
- An intelligent device to manage daylight and climate simultaneously- Efficient use and control of daylight and solar energy in buildings increasing the qua lity of life and saving energy spent on lighting, cooling and heating. The energy savings may help to replace considerable amounts of fossil energy with sustainable energy and thus to reduce the CO2 output considerably (management of GHG emissions).A very large market.
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
08690 Sta Coloma De Cervello