Stratospheric profiles of many molecules will be simultaneously determined in balloon flights at mid latitudes over France and in Northern Scandinavia by a consortium of laboratories in the UK, Germany and France with theoretical interpretation of the data assisted by modelling activities in Norway. Three flight will be made in the winter 1993-94 in Scandinavia and the third in the summer of 1994 over France.
A cryogenic air sampler, operated by KFA Jülich will be flown in all three flights and the Fourier Transform Spectrometer operated by LPMA Paris will be flown only in the 1994 summer flight. This latter reduction, from two flights (one of which was to be made in Scandinavia) to one flight, has been caused by the destruction of the original LPMA spectrometer in the EASOE Campaign.
The specific tasks of this proposal are thus:
- To collect simultaneous data on the vertical profiles at mid latitudes and in the Arctic of a large range of CFCs and other halocarbons:
CFC-11, CFC-12, CFC-13, CFC-14, CFC-113, CFC-114, CFC114a, CFC-115, CFC-116, HCFC-22, HCFC-142b, CH3 CC13, CH3Cl, CH3Br, H-12B1, H-13B1 and H-24B2.
- To collect simultaneous information on other stratospheric source gases at the same location: (CH4, N2O, H2, etc).
- To measure the CO2 content of the air samples.
- To determine the HCl concentration of the stratosphere coincidentally with the total chlorine source gases concentration.
- To use the data in combination with a two-dimensional model of stratospheric chemistry to determine the atmospheric lifetimes of many molecules and the relative effects on stratospheric ozone depletion of CFCs and HCFCs.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesatmospheric sciences
- natural scienceschemical sciencesorganic chemistryhydrocarbons
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesenvironmental sciencesozone depletion
- natural scienceschemical sciencesinorganic chemistryhalogens
- natural scienceschemical sciencesorganic chemistryorganohalogen compounds
Topic(s)Data not available
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
See on map
See on map
See on map