The objective is to compare and to validate the observations performed at the network of alpine stations concerning stratospheric ozone and ozone-related trace constituents at mid-latitude in Europe.
This project is based on the existing capabilities for high-quality ground-based remote measurements at the following selected stations for the Network for the Detection of Stratospheric Change (NDSC):
- Observatoire de Haute Provence 44°N, 6°E, Alt. 600 m
- International Scientific Station 46.5°N, 8°E, Alt. 3580 m
at the Jungfraujoch
- Plateau de Bure 44.5°N, 5.9°E, Alt. 2500 m
- Observatoire de Bordeau 45°N, O.5°W, Sea level
- Universität Bern 47°N, 8°N, Alt. 550 m
- Arosa 46.7°N, 9.7°E, Alt. 1860 m
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen 47.5°N, 11.1°E, Alt. 730 m
- Hohenpreissenberg 47.8°N, 11.0°E, Alt. 975 m
- L'Aquila 43°N, 12°E, Alt. 600 m
- Payerne 46.8°N, 6.9°E, Alt. 491 m
The main tasks of this project are:
1. to make intensive coordinated ground-based observations to provide climatological measurements of ozone total amounts and vertical profiles, vertical aerosol distributions, CIO vertical profiles, NO2, NO, reservoirs and long-lived tracers total amounts;
2. to provide validated ground-based measurement at mid-latitude to contribute to SESAME;
3. to study the seasonal and interannual variability of the measured trace species;
4. to study the role of volcanic aerosols on ozone and NO2 reduction observed after the Mt. Pinatubo eruption by the development of aerosol modelling;
5. to provide measurements to est and improve stratospheric models including heterogeneous processes and to validate the current and planned satellite observations of the stratosphere (e.g. UARS and ERS-2/GOME).
The experimental studies are based on the currently available measurements of ozone using lidars, microwave radiometry (MR), UV-visible absorption spectroscopy (UV-VIS), Fourier Transform Spectroscopy in the infrared (FTIR). The vertical distribution of aerosols is obtained by lidars. The ozone-related species are measured by FTIR (NOx long-lived tracers, reservoirs), UV-VIS (NO2) and MR (CIO).
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts